Thursday, November 29, 2012

Finding the Quiet....ANYWHERE

Today's Unglued Blog Update
Another one of mostly my rewording & adding some of my own to what Lysa said. I just think she hits the nail right on the head!

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. ~1 Peter 5:8
 
So, I must remember my goal--whether I am exploding & shaming myself or exploding & blaming others--is imperfect progress. When I have exploded, I feel a lot more imperfect thank I do progress. But I'm dealing with emotions & relationships, both of these can be like...
...trying to nail Jell-O to the wall. It can be complicated, mess, & unpredictable progress....as long as I'm making progress. Sometimes I get worn out & wonder if I am every going to stop exploding & feel like I've reached my breaking point & I'm ready to give up. But before I give up, I must learn to hush, hit the pause button, & find a quiet place somewhere.....ANYWHERE! Which means I might even have to slip...
...into a bathroom stall (they can make great prayer closets). The point is that the only way to see what God is doing & attend to what He reveals is to get quiet with Him.
 
There are five things that are balm for the raw edges of a soul on the precipice of exploding:
  1. In the quiet, I can feel safe enough to humble myself. The quiet is what enables me to "humble [ourselves], therefore, under God's mighty hand" (1 Peter 5:6).
  2. In the quiet, God can lift me up to a more rational place. The only way out of the pit is to make the choice to stop digging deeper & turn to God for a solution, so "that [God] may lift you up in due time" (1 Peter 5:6).
  3. In the quiet, my anxiety can give way to progress. I claim the promise that says, "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7).
  4. In the quiet, I can acknowledge that my real enemy isn't the other person. The wisdom of Scripture says, "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith" (1 Peter 5:8-9).
  5. In the quiet, I can rest assured God will use this conflict for good--no matter how it turns out. God's Word promises that "the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast" (1 Peter 5:10).
Lysa suggests I add this to my own list as I discover my own benefits for intentionally getting quiet when all I really want to do is explode. She even provides a good prayer: Oh God, help me. I want to be a passionate woman reined in by You and Your grace...not an exploder who shames herself or blames others. I want to sip the shame so I won't have to guzzle the regret. I want to be the one who holds her tongue and keeps the Holy Spirit's power working in me. I want these truths to sink in and become part of who I am and how I live.
 
I am SO headed toward this goal of imperfect progress....I've just gotta keep working on it!
 
Stay tuned for my next Unglued Blog Update....I'll move on to The Stuffers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you SO much for checking out my post. I will try my hardest to reply back to everyone that comments.