Friday, December 7, 2012

Evil Desires

Today's Unglued Blog Update
Another one of mostly my rewording & adding some of my own to what Lysa said. I just think she hits the nail right on the head!

Wow....I am moving right along. This starts Chapter 7. I've kind of left the Online Bible Study format cause I needed to be a little more detailed. I know that if I want something to stick, I've got to read it & then write (type) it out. My mind needs it in more then one format. So you are getting my notes now.

This is what the Lord says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's. ~2 Chronicles 20:15b

Oh, how corrupt motives can really make me come unglued. By motives, I mean my desires -- the feelings that drive me to act, react, & live the way I live. Mostly I'm a good person with good motives, but not always. Not when I just want life to be a little more about me or about making sure I look good. That's when my motives become corrupted. Now, for those of you who know me, you know I don't have the self-esteem to be that conceited. What I'm talking about here is when I try to make it about me instead of about God & glorifying Him.

The Bible is pretty blunt in naming the real issue here: evil desires. And I do not like that term. But I know the truth: Avoiding reality never changes reality. And change is what I really want. So, I'm laying it out there: I have evil desires. Not the kind that's going to land me on 48 Hours Mystery or the First 48, but the kind that pull me away from the kind of woman I want to be. One with a calm spirit & divine nature. I want it to be evident that I know Jesus, love Jesus, & spend time with Jesus every day. So why on earth do other things bubble to the surface when my life gets stressful & my relationships get strained? Things like...
Selfishness: I want things my way.
Pride: I see things only from my vantage point.
Impatience: I rush things without proper consideration.
Anger: I let simmering frustrations erupt.
Bitterness: I swallow & let them fester.

Why do other things bubble up? Because it's easier to avoid these realities than to deal with them. It's easier to go deal with my junk drawer, clutter in my house, run to the store, eat a brownie, & look at other people's issues. A whole lot easier. I rationalize I don't have time to get all psychological & examine my selfishness, pride, impatience, anger, & bitterness. And honestly, I'm tired of knowing I have issues but having no clue how to rein them in on a given day. I need something simple. A quick reality check in the midst of the everyday messes.

So next Unglued Blog Update, I'll talk about Positioning My Heart in the Flow of God's Power.

No comments:

Post a Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you SO much for checking out my post. I will try my hardest to reply back to everyone that comments.