Monday, December 10, 2012

Positioning My Heart

Today's Unglued Blog Update
Another one of mostly my rewording & adding some of my own to what Lysa said. I just think she hits the nail right on the head!
 
This is what the Lord says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's. ~2 Chronicles 20:15b
 
The writer of 2 Peter understood the struggle of wanting to be one way but acting another; having divine power but falling prey to evil desires; knowing & loving Jesus but sometimes feeling ineffective & unproductive in living out that reality. These verses from 2 Peter address this issue:
 
His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:3-8)
Wow. God's divine power has given me everything I need for a godly life? Everything? If that's the case, why do I still come unglued?
 
Yes, God has given me everything, but this promise comes with a requirement. I have to "make every effort" to add some things to my faith. Things like goodness, knowledge, & self-control. I have to add these in. I have to make that choice. Then I can position my heart in the flow of God's power & work with it rather than against it. I may not be gentle by nature, but I can be gentle by obedience. If--& only if--I equip myself with predetermined biblical procedures that I can rely on when I start to feel the great unglued coming on.
 
I need my own set of default procedures for when selfishness, pride, impatience, anger, or bitterness rear their ugly heads. Because in the moment I feel them, I feel justified in feeling them & find them hard to battle. But God's promises - His truths & examples from Scripture - are powerful enough to redirect me to the divine nature I'm meant to have. Having a predetermined plan from Him will help me stay calmer when I start to feel unglued. More godly. More in line with Scripture.
 
Sure, I will still be vulnerable to coming unglued. I am susceptible to unpredictable emotions, hormonally influenced emotions. That being said, I still want to equip myself in every way possible to stay out of the emotional fray. I want to stay in the flow of God's power & participate in His divine nature.
 
Next Unglued Blog Update, I'll talk about My Biblical Manual...

No comments:

Post a Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you SO much for checking out my post. I will try my hardest to reply back to everyone that comments.