Thursday, December 13, 2012

I Must Redirect My Focus to Jesus

Today's Unglued Blog Update
Another one of mostly my rewording & adding some of my own to what Lysa said. I just think she hits the nail right on the head!

This is what the Lord says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's. ~2 Chronicles 20:15b
Outline of the predetermined biblical procedure manual to bring godly calm to my own unglued situations:
Step 1: Remember who I am (more detail HERE)
Step 2: Redirect my focus on Jesus
Step 3: Recognize God's job isn't my job
Step 4: Recite thanks & praises to God
Step 5: Realize Reactions determine reach
 
Today, I go into more detail about Step 2: Redirect my focus on Jesus:
For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you. (2 Chronicles 20:12)

It's hard when I feel like there are no easy solutions & no certain answers. But I love the honest admission by King Jehoshaphat & his people. They didn't know what to do, but they knew who to turn to. Their attention was fixed on the the Lord.
 
The Bible teaches that there is power & protection in the Lord's name (John 17:11). The human soul is designed to recognize & respond to the calm assurance of Jesus. When I am in an unglued place, I can invite a power beyond my own into the situation by simply speaking His name. I don't have to know what to do. I don't have to have all the answers. I don't have to remember everything I learned in Bible study last week or while reading this book. I just have to remember one thing, one name -- Jesus.
 
Lysa has experienced the power of this (just saying Jesus....Jesus....Jesus) when the tragic events of life happen: an inconsolable woman who has learned of the death of her grandchildren calmed just by speaking His name. And she has experience the power of just saying His name in her every day life: driving arguing siblings to school. This kids tend to ask her to not roll the window down when she pulls up to the school; but just saying His name over & over has kept her from coming completely unglued at her kids (yelling & screaming at them) when she needs just needs to speak calmly. And as someone who has worked with children in the school setting and having 2 kids of my own, I can tell you those last few minutes in the morning before school can have a major impact on how a child's day is going to go (sorry...I got sidetracked).
 
Yes, keeping my eyes & my mouth focused on Jesus is a crucial part of my unglued procedural manual.
 
Next Unglued Blog Update will focus on Recognizing God's job isn't my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you SO much for checking out my post. I will try my hardest to reply back to everyone that comments.