Thursday, December 6, 2012

Feelings; Nothing More Than Feelings....But I AM More

Today's Unglued Blog Update
Another one of mostly my rewording & adding some of my own to what Lysa said. I just think she hits the nail right on the head!

Do not repay evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends of you, live in peace with everyone. ~Romans 12:17-18

Yes, I totally busted out into song when I typed the beginning of the title for this blog post. As you know, if you follow me, songs ALWAYS get stuck in my head & come out when I hear/think/say/read a phrase. Yep, I busted out Morris Albert's 1970s song "Feelings" (Feelings....nothning more than feelings).

And you know, as a woman whether I'm dealing with exploding or stuffing, it all comes back to the raw emotions I'm feeling in the moment. And these emotions can be tough. I must always remember that feelings should be indicators, not dictators. They can indicate where my heart is in the moment, but that doesn't mean they have the right to dictate my behavior & boss me around. I am more than the sum total of my feelings & I'm perfectly capable of that little gift from Jesus called self-control.

Lysa pointed this out (& I totally agree): When my emotions are in charge, I always seem to end up feeling like the person described by the prophet Jeremiah: "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the LORD. He will be like a bush in the wastelands...He will dwell in the parched places of the desert" (Jeremiah 17:5-6). Yep, that's me...when I let my feelings boss me around & trust only in my flesh to handle situations, I turn into a crusty ol' burnt-up bush living in parched places.

I must remember, it is good to feel. Feelings are indicators, & it's good to honestly assess what I'm feeling & why. I need to keep a gauge on my heart so I can process, clarify, & understand my life & relationships more deeply. But God gave me more than just a heart to use in processing life. HE gave me a mind as well. A mind made for truth to reign supreme & to keep my heart in check. I must remember, "The heart is deceitful above all things...I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind" (Jeremiah 17:9-10).

I am more....I am more than just a sum total of my feelings. I am more than an exploder who shames....or an exploder who blames. I am more than a stuffer who builds barriers...or a stuffer who collects retaliation rocks. Indeed, I am more. I am a child of God made to walk in truth with soul integrity.

And yes, while reading what Lysa said (& what I typed) about being more, I have yet again busted out into song in my head. But this is an awesome song (I have blogged & Facebook posted it before). REALLY listen to the words & take them in:

Next Unglued Blog Update, I move on to Procedure Manual...

No comments:

Post a Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you SO much for checking out my post. I will try my hardest to reply back to everyone that comments.