Monday, December 17, 2012

I Must Realize Reactions Determine Reach

Today's Unglued Blog Update
Another one of mostly my rewording & adding some of my own to what Lysa said. I just think she hits the nail right on the head!

This is what the Lord says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's. ~2 Chronicles 20:15b
Outline of the predetermined biblical procedure manual to bring godly calm to my own unglued situations:
Step 1: Remember who I am (click HERE for more detail)
Step 2: Redirect my focus on Jesus (click HERE for more detail)
Step 3: Recognize God's job isn't my job (click HERE for more detail)
Step 4: Recite thanks & praises to God (click HERE for more detail)
Step 5: Realize Reactions determine reach
Today, I'm going into more detail on Step 5: Realize reactions determine reach:
The fear of God came upon all the surrounding kingdoms when they heard how the LORD had fought against the enemies of Israel. And the kingdom of Jehoshaphat was at peace, for his God had given him rest on every side. (2 Chronicles 20:29-30)
How did Jehoshaphat find peace? Why did he have rest on every side? And most importantly, why did the fear of God come upon all who heard about Jehoshaphat's victory? Because in the midst of it all, he honored God with his actions & reactions. Remember, though he was alarmed, he was resolved to inquire of the Lord.
 
He felt alarmed but stayed resolved. He kept his focus on the Lord. He stayed in the flow of God's power by being obedient to God's Word. Though it wasn't easy, he shifted from having an attitude to practicing gratitude. And his reaction positively affected everyone around him, not only people in his own kingdom, but even those in surrounding countries. This is the kind of leader I want to be. Not that I'm leading a kingdom, but I am influencing the people around me. The interactions I have with my kids, my husband, my friends, my neighbors, my church (there needs to be WAY more of these reactions), even the checkout clerk at my local grocery store -- they matter. My reactions testify to the kind of relationship I have with Jesus & the effect He has on my heart. After all, I'm reminded in the Bible that out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. When my happy gets bumped, what's really going on in my heart is on display. In those times I will either add to the authenticity of my love for Jesus or, sadly, negate it.
 
Yes, my reactions determined my reach. That's why when I feel the great unglued coming on, I want to train my mind to remember each step, each truth, each choice Jehoshaphat made. Then I want to train my heart to have the courage to implement each one.
 
So, here's the short version of Lysa's predetermined biblical procedure manual all in one place:
  1. Alarmed, I resolve to remember who I am.
  2. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.
  3. Stay in the flow -- my job is obedience; God's job is results.
  4. Shift from an attitude to gratitude.
  5. My reactions determine my reach
Instead of avoiding the reality that I come unglued, I'm tackling it head-on. I want to give myself every fighting chance to make wise choices in the midst of raw emotions. And having a predetermined plan is a good thing to create & implement.
 
Next Unglued Blog Update, I'll discuss My Kid-Placemat Life
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you SO much for checking out my post. I will try my hardest to reply back to everyone that comments.