Saturday, December 29, 2012

I Must Carry My Own Load

Today's Unglued Blog Update
 
As usual...I'm just mainly putting what Lysa has said in her book with some (very little--actually maybe not at all today) of my own insight/thoughts.
 
Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load. ~Galatians 6:4-5


The first step in dealing with jealous thoughts is to focus on my own responsibilities & actions. For in this focus I find reasons to celebrate what I have been given & what I am doing right.
Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load. (Galatians 6:4-5)


In Lysa's book Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl (FYI: the next book I've picked to read & hopefully blog through), she shared a truth she challenged herself with when jealousy comes knocking: "I'm not equipped to handle what she has, both good and bad--and what she has is always a package deal of both." In other words, I've been assigned a load I can handle. The good & bad in my load is what I should carry. I'm not designed or assigned to carry someone else's load.

Consider the Galatians verses again from The Message:
Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.


I like the thought of "doing the creative best with [my] own life" (especially since I don't consider myself to be that creative). When I wish for someone else's life, I waste the limit life energy I've got to face my own challenges & opportunities. God has a beautiful plan for me--a creative best I can accomplish with my life.

Isn't it just like Satan to want to distract me from this? Satan is a liar who steals, kills, & destroys. He wants to steal my attention, kill my joy, & destroy my creative best by making me want what God has entrusted to someone else. In other words, it is a lie straight from Satan that I'd be happier & more content with someone else's load. I wouldn't.

There are many areas of my life I can look back on & thank God for the protection. The boys who never asked me out. The opportunities I never got that keep me humble. All the things I have & don't have are what make up the unique load I've been assigned.

Ultimately, that's why God tells me to concentrate on carrying my own load & avoid comparing & striving for someone else's load--it's for my protection. I see that now. It gives my brain a better place to go when those I-want-what-she-has thoughts start choking the joy from me. And instead of feeling empty, I feel a sense of possibility. I drop seeds of my own creative design & watch the long limbs of purpose start to form.

Stay tuned for the next Unglued Blog Update about carrying some love to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you SO much for checking out my post. I will try my hardest to reply back to everyone that comments.