Sunday, January 6, 2013

Finding My Spiritual White Space

Today's Unglued Blog Update
As usual...I'm just mainly putting what Lysa has said in her book with some (very little--actually maybe not at all today) of my own insight/thoughts.

There are honest, personal reasons we need to observe the Sabbath that will be unique for each person. There are private reflections & conversations we need to have with God. There is a desperate need for us to hit pause, sit with God, & ask Him to reveal some things to us.

Where am I going my own right now?
What area of my life is more self-pleasing than God-pleasing?
What idle words need to be reined in from running rampant in my mind or spilling from my lips?

These questions are from Isaiah 58...the Sabbath isn't just a time to be observed; it's a time to be preserved. The observer remembers to rest. The preserver rests to remember -- remember that it's all about God. It's all about pausing. It's all about connecting with God without the distracting rhythms of my everyday. Letting God show me a better rhythm. One that will preserve the best of me & reveal the places I'm getting off track & being filled with unnecessary clutter. Once I see clutter -- the places I'm going my own way, the areas I'm more self-pleasing than God-pleasing, the idle words that need to be reined in -- I can clean the clutter. The Sabbath does this.

In a sense I can take this one day for a soul cleaning so I can live the other six with the freedom to breathe that my soul so desperately need.

There's no need to get all angry & complicated & overanalyzing. I should inhale the issues but exhale with grace. Just an honest assessment from a soul that is rested enough to stay calm. Joy, rest, grace. I can get all that from observing & preserving the Sabbath...I think I want more of that!

It can also be viewed as finding my spiritual white space. In the visual arts world, white space refers to portions of a page left unmarked.  In graphic design, white space is a key element to the aesthetic quality of a composition. The more fine art a composition is, the more white space you'll find. The more commercial a piece is, the more text & images you'll find crowded in. The purpose is no longer beauty. It is commercialization.

I don't want my life to be so crowded that I'm nothing more than a commercial for crazy! I want to be a fine art. Like the David talked about earlier (click HERE if you missed that one). Chiseled & perfected with time.

Time with the One who, from the beginning, modeled Sabbath. Time with the One who can see past my facade & into the deep places of my heart. Past the surface reasons I come unglued to the deeper places.

And in that space of time, with the One who really sees & knows, I'll rest & I'll reflect.

Stay tuned for the next Unglued Blog Update: Three Sabbath Questions

No comments:

Post a Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you SO much for checking out my post. I will try my hardest to reply back to everyone that comments.