Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Self-Seeking vs God-Seeking

Today's Unglued Blog Update
As usual...I'm just mainly putting what Lysa has said in her book with some (very little--actually maybe not at all today) of my own insight/thoughts.

As I reflect on the Sabbath, there are 3 questions I should ask as prompted by the prophet Isaiah:
1) Where am I going my own way right now? (click HERE for details)
2) What one area of my life is more self-pleasing than God-pleasing?
3) What idle words need to be reined in from running rampant in my mind or spilling from my lips?

This blog post, I'll cover Question 2:
What one area of my life is more self-pleasing than God-pleasing?
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. (Psalm 19:14)


We live in a day & time when our rights sometimes take precedence over our pursuit of righteousness, when we get caught in the rush of seeking self rather than seeking God. So quick to offer a complaint when things don't go exactly right. So forgetful without thank-yous when things go well.

For example, Chik-fil-A (one of my FAV places) is a God-seeking business. They take the opportunity to hand us customers a sandwich with a smile, a kind word, some kind of go-the-second-mile gesture, & for that brief moment, they make our day a little brighter, a little better. The grumpy customers get the same kindness the happy ones get. A self-seeking business would simply see each customer as another transaction. But a God-seeking business sees each customer as a person with real needs. And they always offer the rare words of kindness, encouragement, & blessing. This is a fundamental value in the corporate culture of Chick-fil-A. They are also one of the few retail businesses left in America that still honor the Sabbath. They are closed on Sundays. A day of rest. A day of reflection. A day to regroup & focus on God & family.


Might I dare to be a Sabbath woman who is more God-seeking than self-seeking? Might I be a woman of the rare word of kindness? And might I even be so bold as to not just make kindness come out of my mouth but also be the meditation of my heart?

It's not easy. But it is good.

A challenge Lysa issued herself & I want to issue myself: Remind myself on the Sabbath day to find the good in my everyday.

In every situation, in every interaction, in every day, be a noticer of the good. That's what God-seekers do --they notice the good. Even when the good has nothing to do with the circumstances & everything to do with how God will teach me through them --find the good. And in that good, my soul will exhale, "Sabbath."

Stay tuned for the next Unglued Blog Update: What idle words need to be reined in from running rampant in my mind or spilling from my lips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you SO much for checking out my post. I will try my hardest to reply back to everyone that comments.